Two of the older boys were leaving for "work" right afterwards (their work is washing cars in the crucero) and gave me their pumpkins because they didn't want to carry them through the streets. I am happy? because Carla tells me attendance of the older teenage boys has improved substantially since my arrival. (I hope Megan reads this!) Sometimes they even bring their friends, and the friends keep coming! These boys in question have stopped going to school and work all day in the street washing cars. Thursday afternoons they take a little time off to come to the group. I wish their choices were different, but it makes me so glad that they make time to participate...whatever their reasons. They go through so much heavy ugly stuff. Today I asked Miguel how his week was and he said with a smile, "Well, there wasn't much good, maestra, but I don't want you to hear about the bad." Miguel and his younger brother stopped working in the calle during the 3 years JUCONI worked with the family, but now they are back to their old ways. It's a difficult situation and I know I don't know the half of it.
I spent a lot of my time at Casa Juconi this week drawing skeletons for the boys to color. Dia de los muertos is this weekend. The basic tradition as I have learned is to put out the "ofrenda" (the offering) on a table for departed loved ones, to let them know they are still remembered. The ofrenda table is decorated with skulls, incense, pictures of deceased family members/celebrities, and pictures of calaveras (skeletons.) Nayeli at Casi Juconi showed me these pictures online and we traced some of them for the boys:



Creepy, verdad? The one in the middle is the most famous, and is called Katrina for some reason. Nayeli said that the calaveras are portrayed dressed in normal clothes and participating in normal activities in an attempt to normalize death, to insinuate the perpetuation of life and the idea that "the dead are not really that different from us." Ha. I got really into it though! I don't think I have ever drawn a skeleton before in my life, but I got lots of practice because I was supposed to draw one for all the boys to color and Jesus Arthur took about 9 of them because he couldn't decide which one he liked best. (He also did my hair for me this week, which was awesome. He braids like a cholo!) My favorites that I did were of a gang banger skeleton, mariachi band skeletons, and a Shakira skeleton. If you ever need anyone to draw you a skeleton, let me know and I will hook you UP!
In other news: I made it 7 weeks here before getting molested. MEXICO: 1. ROMANIA: 253

7 comments:
Were you able to re-connect the other half of your thumb?
Are you now only 3/4 primate?
i am loving the shout-outs to megan and romanian molestations. :)
is anyone surprised that the number of teenage boys has increased "substantially" since your arrival?
no.
i'd come if you were there, too :).
yes! an awkward fist pump to celebrate molestation! WOOT
man poor kids carving out raw pumpkins. Cruel and unusual punishment, and they don't even realize it. Just cruel maestra.
I'm still jealous of your awesome experiences! Even the finger chopping. I don't miss the molestation part though. I nearly got that right here in Provo this weekend. Sheesh, Halloween comes along and people just forget who they are!
I have to agree with Is, and then ask,
"Shakira skeleton?"
Okay, stop right there. what do you mean, you'vee made it 7 weeks without being molested! Does that mean you were molested 7 weeks out? Tell me the truth behind that comment, hija.
Jack-o-lanterns! Sweet! Good for you for Americanizing those children! (Just teasing a bit)
Good work on enticing the young men to come and participate. Hard to refuse the beauty of the lovely Rachel Brown ;)
Sweet pictures!
Braiding like a cholo? I didn't know cholos were big on braiding, cholitas on the other hand...
I'd say congratulations on the molestation thing, but I'm not exactly sure how to take that...
Post a Comment