
Just thinking of that song from The Sound of Music cracks me up slash brings me a sense of triumph for these reasons:
#1-When I was younger my father used to put a towel on his head (like a nun's habit), and couple of oranges in the front of his shirt, and sing that song in a passionate, quavering falsetto. He made an awesome Reverend Mother. The best part was at the end when he would shriek out the final notes: "Tiiiil youuuu fiiiiind! YOUR! DREEEAM!" Oh man! My dad is the steeze!
#2-It reminds me of A-Fed, the basilisk, singer of woman-songs. I think one of A.I's finest moments was when Anthony Federov sang "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" on Season 4's musicals night...also in a passionate, quavering falsetto, but without a towel on his head, which really could have only improved the performance. As I recall, Simon told him, "Everything about that was hideous." Although that might have been what he said when A-Fed sang Celine Dion.
#3-Today Manuel and I went to the rest home again to visit the hermana Maria Eugenia and her imprisoned comrades. So many of them are so desperately lonely. Once again Maria mentioned how much she misses the singing from church and began to hum "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam" ("Que brilla! Que brilla!"), she said that song began to be very sweet to her once she realized she could cope with her trials better if she was trying to be the sunlight for someone else. She just turned 90 yesterday. I had my hymnbook in my bag from church and I was thinking, "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" It didn't seem right that we couldn't sing to her, when it was such a simple thing that would have meant so much. Manuel had told me that we weren't allowed to sing our hymns because it is considered proselytizing, but I couldn't understand why a Catholic-run organization would be against singing hymns about Christ. Just as I was churning with rebellion, the Reverend Mother swept into the room and beamed at us. She seemed so kind, like she might just burst out in song if anyone needed her to help them make a choice between marrying Captain VonTrapp or getting locked up in a convent. I hissed to Manuel that we should ask her again if we could sing. Upon asking permission, she said she thought that would be all right if they were just hymns about Jesus Christ. We promised that there would be no praising the man or in our lovely deseret-ing. That was the triumph because now we can sing hymns about the Savior to Maria and to any of the residents who want to listen. When I'm old and lonely and forgotten I imagine that the hymns would bring so much peace to my soul. They are songs of hope and counsel and kindness. Maria wept when we sang and promised that it wasn't because we sounded bad. :) So I am grateful that the Reverend Mother was down with it.
Mormon 7:7: "And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, in a state of happiness which hath no end."

5 comments:
Rachel, this post is so funny! And beautiful. What an awesome experience. I'm truly jealous. It sounds like something out of a book.
I'm so fericit the (wo)man didn't put the squeeze on your steeze!
I don't know how he found your blog, but I agree with Rhett.
pretty happy about the "no praising the man or lovely deseret-ing" part.
i love your stories, thanks for writing them down.
i purposely left the "rachel" i tagged as ambiguous, hoping that you would both do it, but thinking that you probably wouldn't because this blog isn't really all about being tagged to talk about superficial things. but i am positive you will have lovely and entertaining things to say if you do it, so if you would like (and have time) please do!
YES YES YES for lunch right when you get home. i will leave the g-boy with john and we can hit the town magic pizza style.
I'm hittin' magic pizza magic pizza style like fie care zi Bay-Bee!
P.S. my word verification was like 2 letters off from gynecology. What do you think that means?
Post a Comment