Sunday, November 23, 2008

I still see the way the moon plays this tune, though our lights died

C-Mar and I had our first date in over 2 months on Saturday night--we set up a video call on MSN and played chess and checkers online. He didn't mind me slaughtering him at checkers (it's the only thing in the world I'm 100% excellent at) and then he put me in check in about 5 moves. We talked about memories.

Today I was remembering Sunday afternoon last summer in San Carlos, Mexico. We had comp study in the room C-Mar was sharing with my brother and finished up by singing about 15 jubilant Spanish hymns. We might have gotten a little loud in our enthusiasm. When we went into the kitchen we found that my parents had been spying on us, listening and laughing. Also while in Mexico, we challenged Dit and Aya to a Called to Serve dual, with us singing in Spanish and them singing in Japanese. We finished the song about 2 verses ahead of them, as they had to fit in a lot of extra syllables. ;) The Spanish hymn singing was more successful than my attempts to get C-Mar to participate in my movie script ideas with me on the beach. I would think of a story, describe the plot to him and then try to get him to act it out with me. My best one was where I was a native islander who had to rescue a sailor washed up from a shipwreck (cliche I know) who had gone temporarily blind from "being exposed to all the exposure." I remember the sailor's nickname was Fin because he was such a good swimmer...which is why he had managed to swim to shore. Other scenarios involved mermaids and lots of what Cow and Toot like to call snogging. HaHA!

I love my life here in Mexico and I know (beyond a shadow of a doubt with every fiber of my heart with no doubt in my mind and all the other Phrases of Deep Knowing) that I needed to be here for a million splintering reasons, for light and dark, for trouble and peace, for learning and loving the loveless. But I do miss my dear friends. And I miss having fun with C-Mar.

It was so good to see his face, even if it was just in a little square on my laptop screen. Distance and patience have wrought some tiny miracles for us and relighted our candle of hope that I spent the spring and summer blowing out. I have a tentative prayer floating up to heaven, for peace and a warm December.

Two years ago on November 22, I was transferred to Louetta to whitewash with Giles. Elder Marousek was the one who showed us our apartment on Jones road. He kindly told us he was sorry about the roaches. Part of the story had already been written then, but I didn't know it until after. I'm excited to see what happens next. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, i remember being blind from exposure to all the exposure. There was so much exposure!!!! And of course spanish is going to win over the japanese,I remember finishing and thinking...are they just talking or still singing? hahaha

Anonymous said...

I remember you two in the raft, playing those games. My question is: who had the raft? the native islander certainly wouldn't own such things, but Fin supposedly swam to shore, he didn't RAFT to shore.

I'm so glad you're having such a healing time there. We miss you too!

Anonymous said...

I don't believe I knew of that shameful story, but I recall another shameful moment of Marousek and I staring out to the water in the Estuary with you and Diana wailing and screaming enough to scare away every crab we were trying to catch. That was ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Um....i would also like to add that you dominate me at checkers cause it forces me to do moves i dont want to do!!! However you probably still would destroy me even if it didnt. :-) Also on this thanksgiving day i would like to thank technology, that we were able to have our little date and be able to see each other, im so happy that we have this time to grow, and i too am excited for to see what happens next.

Brenda K. said...

Dr. Pepper? :)

ls said...

did you get my email? i just want to make sure i sent it to the right address.