This is Caro! Isn't she darling? (This picture was taken by Caro's cousin Anahi, so it's not shady, no se preocupen.) Lolis and I visit her family first on Mondays. Because of some turbulent family problems of a "fuerte tema," I usually work with Caro while Lolis works with the parents. I love Caro so much, When I come into the room she screams and wiggles with happiness, much like Larisa of old. We draw pictures and work on her colors and shapes. She's 3 and can't sit still for long, and sometimes her parents' session gets intense and air gets dense with emotion and it's better for Caro not to be there, so usually we wander outside and look for colors there (so far everything is azul, but we are getting there!) or pick flowers for Caro's mother. When the neighbors are blasting music, we dance. I haven't been around a child for a long time who seemed to feel so much sheer joy in living. Por todo se entusiasma, por todo se regocia! Today we were playing in the campo by her house when a neighbor came by with a flock of sheep. Caro made a jubilant "Maaaaa" sound and several of the sheep responded (baa ram ewe). She was so excited she screamed. I love every minute I get to spend with her and I especially love how she boosts herself up on the low concrete wall of her yard so she can wave at me until we drive away. It gives me heart. I don't think there is a better feeling than having a little kid love you.
This year, our traditional Labor Day baseball trip took us to the blazing
hot state of Texas. We chose to get TX out of the way because Labor Day was
a wee...
3 days ago

10 comments:
I think it's really neat and special how you get to have these special relationships with all of these individual people (and for a large part children, man I love kids!). I can tell you're doing wonderful things and making a great difference in the lives of the people down there. Good for you! Love ya lots Rachel!
Rach, I love these two posts (really i love all your posts). I'm glad that with all the deep mind-stuff you're dealing with you're also finding joy. You know, we have to try and use the word we have... because those are the words we have, how else are we to communicate? But the fact that you are aware of all that those words might communicate and all that they might not is a big step. You're doing so much good Rach, for the kids you're working with, for yourself, and being prepared for the people you will work with in the future, and also for everyone who reads this blog. You're pretty much the most awesome ever!
So I'm jealous...
I've been sitting in my apartment feeling sorry for myself the last 3 days. A smile like that reminds me what I'm missing and why I feel so listless. So the last sentence choked me up a bit. I'm sure she'll remember the refuge you give her every time you get to work with her. The scientist in me (a very untrained one) wonders what kind of processes are actually going on and how it's affecting her, and the Christian in me wants to take her away from all that. The realist in me says that it's none of my business though. But it's YOUR business and that's probably a little why I'm jealous. har har...
I thought Larisa first glance. She sounds like a heartbreaker.
Or the short version = Yes she is darling!
urban life decay.
why not put my blog on your infinite list of blogs?
deeply, emotionally, fantastically, hurt
She's beautiful rachel.
Caro sounds lovely. She reminds me of dear, sweet Eric.... bless his departed soul!
Rachel she is the cutest little girl ever!!!! i want a little 3 yr old brown friend!!!! Its amazing that she is so filled with joy when her parents are going through...what ever it is in the other room...so inocente.
Rachel: You've posed the question of the ages. Why does such inequity exist in this world? Can it be corrected, and if so, how?
I don't have any real answers, only an observation: perspective is everything. Who is richer, the wealthy north american brat, who grows up selfish, jaded and indifferent to the world, or the dirty little mexican girl who grows up with wide eyes and a heart made meek by sorrow. Remember, God has written their names on his hands, and you are part of the fulfilling of his covenant to gather scattered Israel with everlasting kindness. I'm so proud of you!
Hello lost friend ;)
Oh Rachel, hat a marvelous experience! I definitely agree, there is nothing like the love of a child. I really love the experiences you share and your personal insights. They're so inspiring! It makes me want to get up and do something and just try harder to be better.
Post a Comment