Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sons can be birds, taken broken up to the mountain

Another volunteer told me this week that Casa Juconi is the most difficult "site" for her because she's still learning Spanish and can't quite keep up with the boys yet. That made me think...one of the reasons Romania was so dreamlike and holy for me was that I really understood so little of what was going on around me. With our little band of "Americancas" we set out own rules for interpreting our environment and the context of our experiences--we LOVED! so purely! It still feels so sweet to think about it--holding angel infants in the hospital of savages, gyring and gimbaling in the playroom. I couldn't ask about the families or thoughts of the other orphanage workers, I had to depend on the broken-down English of others to make friends in the hospital and on Mihai my intrepid interpreter when we went gypsy-hunting.

Being HERE I am so much more aware of complexities, contradictions, and conflicts because I am able to speak the language. I can appreciate the excellent work the social workers and educadores do. I can't spin as many snowflake-beautiful tragedies to fill in the gaps because there is a normalcy about this that I didn't have hedged around me in the otherworldliness of Iasi. There was a sacredness about being there among so much innocence. I love Mexico and the blithe humor and affection, the humility and there's sort of an endearing griminess about the whole thing, swinging free, that is so appealing. I love the Spanish marching on like a victory to the horizon! On days I am with the boys, every one in awhile I realize with a jolt that I've been jabbering in Spanish for hours without having to think about it. It's an amazing feeling! Little Morena despairing in the MTC would be happy to see me now.

I love working at the Casa Juconi. I want to describe the Boys and the dynamics there so you can love them too, pero me faltan las palabras aptas. Sometimes they're like a merry band of brothers, other times they are vicious with each other. They are volatile and more experienced with dark shadows than children should have to be. One minute they will be playing with trucks and making car sound affects and then at lunch they'll talk about whether it's easier to snort cocaine through a straw or straight. They know how to fight and when they do fight it's really ugly. They are all incredibly cuddly with the staff and with each other. They are old and young for their age at the same time. They talk about stealing and drinking with their friends, but even the 14 and 15 year olds will curl up next to you to read a story.

One of the boys (Jose Manuel) is schizophrenic and painfully delayed in his social skills. He is 15, one of the older boys, but all of them are scornful of him; he is universally disliked. It's awful to watch him be kicked down over and over again. Whenever he makes a comment, another boy scowls or tells him to shut up. Of course everyone reprimands the other boys for being horrible, but stilling the insults doesn't create friends. I see this boy shriveling for want of kindness. I play games with him and he struggles to remember the rules; invariably another boy will come and shove him out of the way. He is just now learning to read; his mother was mentally ill also and his father abused him horrifically. I asked this boy once what he wanted to be when he was older and he told me "a singer, like Don Omar. It's not necessary to study." I asked him if he knew how to sing, and he shrugged. "I just need to find some people to write songs for me." In the afternoons I let him listen to my ipod. He's still confused on how to work it, so whenever he wants a new song he comes to me and I change it. He writes down his favorites in a notebook "for when I have my own ipod." On the list are several EFY songs. A week ago he ran away to his uncle's house for the night. Everyone was so worried and then he showed up the next morning back at the Casa Juconi. One of the educators told him, "We were very concerned," and he said, "The guys weren't. They'd be happy if I left." When I look at him I see a struggling little animal caught in a trap. Sometimes the weight of all the lonely people is crushing. But I rejoice in the moments I have to be a friend to this boy.

One afternoon earlier this week we were working on a project that involved looking up the boys' names and talking about the meanings, pictures of famous people with the same name, websites that talk about characteristics. When it was Manuel's turn, I read him the definition of his name--it's a variation of Emmanuel, which means "God with us." I got a little choked up because I love that name for the Savior. I told Manuel his name is really special and it should always remind him that God would be with him. Instead of looking up pictures of politicians and singers with the name Manuel, like I'd done with the other boys, I showed him pictures of Christ with children. All the little guys crowded around and they loved it. I wanted him to have hope. I don't know if he understood everything I wanted to communicate to him, but one of the other boys commented, "There are a lot of feelings in this room right now."

I love the line in the Blake poem promising a little chimney sweep that if he were good, "He'd have God for his Father and never want joy." I wish these boys could feel that they have a loving Father. In occasional moments of stillness sometimes I daydream about being home with my family for Christmas and then I remember where I am and feel a little ashamed, and deeply grateful. It's important to remember the kids who don't get to go home for Christmas. I am being as good to them as I can, I wish I could take them back with me. :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are their to bind up these broken hearts. And what better way, than to tell them of the master healer. I know you are His hands and voice to them, Rachel. Keep talking, keep giving, keep loving. His way is their only way out.

Anonymous said...

Rachel Brown!!! Rachel you are such a good person. I think that you are amazing and humble. I think that many people may go down there and say.."Wow im so glad that I don't live like this", or "Ohh how sad that these boys have no families" Then they would come back and act like it never happened. But you are down there and you see this, you feel for these boys. You see what they are going for and you care for them, you teach them that you are not the only one that cares for them. Such a good Misionera! I agree with what Lorrain said, you truly are a tool in the saviors hands. You speak of "Dark Shadows", well have a great opportunity to bring light into these boys lives. On a little side note, I know that lil Morena would be very proud of you in more ways then just spanish :-) Kepp it up.

squirrelyearl said...

Great stories as always Rachel. It really is so incredible how rough of lives these boys have to go through. It doesn't seem like they should have to deal with such serious issues. Good for you for all of your hard work. Love ya lots.

DAM said...

You're so awesome Rachel. I'm going to El Salvador again in December for the holidays. Hopefully the small items of clothing or toys that I take to the less fortunate kids will help just like last year. Seeing them smile because of small gifts is priceless. Keep up the awesome work! You'll have eternal blessings for everything you do.

Tanya said...

Rachel you are incredible and amazing. When I read this I can picture the light that must surround you in those boys' minds. I admire your heart and goodness.

kachers said...

It is so refreshing and humbling to read these moments in your life. What a precious and sacred moment, showing the boys pictures of Christ. I really look up to you Rachel.

Jake said...

Alright:

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who orderest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Root of Jesse’s tree,
An ensign of Thy people be;
Before Thee rulers silent fall;
All peoples on Thy mercy call.
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be Thyself our King of Peace.

ls said...

i am grateful that you take the time to share your stories. i can almost see the faces and feel the pain.

your description of iasi was a new one for me-- i hadn't really ever thought of it like that, but it's true that we didn't understand SO many of the things that would have made the situations even uglier and bleaker. i wonder what, if anything, would have been different about our experiences if we would've been able to communicate more. now that you've had both (in iasi and now in mexico), what way would you prefer? it is an interesting thought.

when do you come back?

the word verification is "bless." how appropriate for you.

Hollie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE. I loved those pictures in the previous post. and i know it's got to mean everything to Jose to have you befriend him and show him music. man, i love reading about your experiences, but then at the same time i kind of avoid it because it makes me realize how selfish i am... i wish i could care more about people instead of just wanting to be left alone. Anyways, I'm so excited for you to come back for Christmas. How long will you be back for? We have to have a Saturday together with Melanie I think.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, that breaks my heart about the boy with skizophrenia. There is a girl just like that in my grade. She has skizophrenia (and is very open about it) and like that boy, is very behind socially, though she tries so hard to fit in. But a few people and I are really nice to her... She's a little tougher to love because rather than be innocently weird, people find her really creepy. I don't know if that boy is like that, but I just hope the other boys can grow up somehow. I'm so glad that you're there to help him feel loved. You're doing such a good thing.

The Blogsmith said...

:)

Robby said...

I've spun my fair share of snowflake tragedies, and I'm jealous of your ability to speak to the people you work with meaningfully. Especially some of the older kids in the hospital.

Knowing just a bit more has taken away alot of the horror that comes from creating worst case scenarios when you don't understand. And yeah some of them are worse than I thought.

Sometimes all a little ostracized boy or girl needs is one respected person sticking up for them publicly to change the way they see themselves. I was thinking about a situation like that recently and this kind of struck a chord. You do the important things in life well. IMO

word verif. pup sing