Thursday, November 13, 2008

If I find my way, how much will I find?

I am feeling some intense joie de vivre lately.


These last few weeks I have been busy with the project "Mis Vida desde Mis Ojos." I get a half hour to an hour to accompany the kids as they take pictures of anything that strikes their interest. At first some of them were not too enthused, twisting the camera in their hands and mumbling, "What am I going to take pictures of?" Most of these families do not own a camera and it is intimidating for them. It's so fun to watch their creativity spark with the kindling of my encouragement. I get to teach them to capture pieces of their world. It's amazing to see how much kids respond to energy we give them--how as I get excited about what they are doing, their eyes glow brighter and become more innovative; dragging me to another street where there is graffiti they like, or with sudden confidence posing little brothers and neighbor kids like models, arranging them like dolls for the perfect shot. I have learned so much from this project because I do get to see "their life through their eyes"--their ideas for what to photograph are often so different from what I would choose. I also love the one on one time with them. There were two or three kids who were not very vocal and outgoing in the group setting and they have come alive with this project and I've been able to deepen my friendship with them. It is so wonderful to be here, so worthwhile and so golden. Before we leave I always review the shots with them and point out the really good ones, and they beam with pride. There's an intimacy about sharing creativity with someone like this and I love it. (And Lizzie, you would be so good at this, I wish you could be here!)

These are some of my favorite pictures the kids have taken so far:































And since I'm already sharing un choro de fotos, here are some from the Mexico City temple open house. The temple grounds were crawling with missionaries showing their investigators around and that made me trunky, but I held it together. It was a bright peaceful day at the Lamanite temple.














This is Manuel's sister Alnair and her boyfriend Samuel (el Lamanita).

Lights will guide you home...

And lastly, here are some pictures Lolis asked me to take of a tutoring session with a sweet family. These kids do not go to regular school so the social workers tutor them once a week. Carla (pictured below) was having a session with the mother in the house, so we went out to a sunny meadow and the kids worked while I played around with the camera. I will never be professional and definitely do not know what I'm doing, but I had fun!










I love this picture. I felt just like him when I was writing Seipel's paper.








11 comments:

The Blogsmith said...

Rachele you are absolutely stunning in your pictures!

Tanya said...

Wow! These ARE poignant! Thanks for sharing them. My favorite is the Seipel face of agony. :) I keep seeing that face a lot lately - the MSW students have to do a 50 page paper. blechy! (Luckily students with a BSW don't have to take the class.)

squirrelyearl said...

Those pictures are so great! It's really impressive how well so many of those pictures taken by the kids turned out. You're obviously a great teacher, maestra!

The Blogsmith said...

Ok now that I have had a chance to actually read your blog, I just gotta say Rachel that you are definitely making an impact for these kids. You are helping them to see the beauty and the good things in life--maybe a spark of hope for the circumstance they are in. Keep doing a great job. Prego che tu fai la brava ogni giorno affinche' aiuti questi poveretti a trovare il sole nelle loro vite.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, You are so lucky to see the progress and transformation of these kids!!I love how you put it, as you get excited about what they are doing their eyes grow brighter, its like teaching investigators and seeing the light begin to grow the more they accept what we bring. You are great with these kids, I'm sure that juconi is very glad that you are there. Keep it up!

ls said...

if i'm fierce, what would tyra call you? ferocious? raving?

i adored the picture of the two little boys in their suits from behind. i also loved the one of the little boy coloring with the marker cap in his mouth. they are all so good, rach.

i hope i am the lizzie you were referring to because i would love to be there with you SO much.

just so you know, about that "fierce" picture on my blog-- i accidentally published it without the rest of the post. it is fixed now so you can read the story too.

Jake said...

I love joie de vivre! Also, shouldn't that Samuel be el Lamanito? God bless you!

Anonymous said...

you call this bereft of comments? pffft! haha. I love the project, and the pictures. All the mexicans at my school have that same che shirt. You should post some more pictures if your computer lets you, I love seeing what the kids like to take pictures of.

Caitlin Carroll said...

Houston, Texas! Spanish-speaking! She is so excited. You should write her! She is seriously the coolest girl ever.

Caitlin Carroll said...

Yep, I'm positive, I took her to the MTC yesterday. I knew that was your mission! :) I talked to Jen Dunkin about her before she left, because at first Austin was really bummed because she really wanted to go foreign, but as time went by she got more and more excited. I have her MTC mailbox address as well somewhere at home, so I can send you that too.

Ian said...

I finally found your blog. Very cool post, it's definitely interesting to see what other people find notworthy enough to take a picture of. I'm surprised after hanging out with you that they didn't all take pictures of the Eminem posters you hung up in their rooms. Or maybe you edited those out of the blog?