Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I do believe it's true that there are roads left in both of our shoes

So I was [most unnecessarily] freaking out about ASU's confirmation deadline this Friday. I had the uncomfortable feeling of being squelched in one of those 'Choose your own Adventure' books, although I could never choose, and tried to keep fingers in all of the pages so I could follow all the different endings down to the grisly conclusion. Sometimes in real life situations I do the same thing, I can't stick with one storyline and see it through. There are very few decisions I have made with clear confidence (my mission, deciding to go to BYU when I was 18). I always "wonder til it drives [me] mad, what would have followed if i had" [chosen another storyline].

Ergo, I'm struggling a little with knowing where I should go to grad school. I've had "crushes" on all the schools I've applied at one time, but who knows how I'd feel once I actually got to know them? They might turn out to be shallow, or hostile, or distressingly incompatible with me. I do know that I felt all squirmy and reluctant when I realized I had to make a decision about ASU so soon. At the moment I didn't have any other options, though, until today I got through to the beloved Cynthia at the OLLU Admissions office, who has so patiently and lovingly dealt with my neurosis and incessant questions during the application process.

I apologized for pestering her yet again, and she was full of awesomness and tenderness as she checked on my application and told me I had been...ADMITTED! And O what wondrous light and joy filled my soul! I became all pageant girl on the phone and Cynthia told me to call her when I got out to Texas so she could give me a tour of campus. I think I will bring her flowers. Seriously, this could maybe be a diaster but it sounds ideal to me right now. After all I've been through with the Virgencita, what could be more fitting than this? :) Also: going back to Texas. Something about that just rings with amazing.



7 comments:

squirrelyearl said...

Congratulations Rachel. That's so awesome.

Hollie said...

so, congratulations again! I told you they would all want you. That was an incredibly applicable analogy with the choose your own adventure book. I've been doing the exact same thing this past year. I think faith has a lot to do with that - believing God will lead you to good things (quite possibly even the best thing even if it's not what you would choose at the time) when you let him without asking too many questions and just doing your best to make informed decisions. I haven't felt sure about any of the decisions I've made in the past six months - but it's turning out pretty good thus far. I really am happy for you if you end up back in Texas - although it is a lot farther than Arizona, and there will be one more out of state location on my list of friends I want to visit. I'm cursing USU for not having your program.

Calie said...

that "choose your own adventure book" analogy reminds me of one of my posts... ;)

V said...

Hey Rachel, congratulations! For FHE this week, my dad had us all take a personality test regarding 4basic types (promoter, analyzer, controller, supporter.) You would likely fall in the analyzer category. =)

Jake said...

Whoohooo and Congrats!

In a similar note, I may also be going Texas for grad school -- although it's not so much going home for me. Peace.

Colin

Anonymous said...

testing

BlogScout said...
This comment has been removed by the author.