Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Time and All You Gave

So the last time I cried in here (in front of this very computer, in a doughnut shop on Clay Road in Houston Texas--we used to check out email here on P-days) it was because the radio was playing Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and the song drenched me with bitter memories. That song, while insipid, had significant sentimental value because it had been my pre-October MTC entrance love song with my boyfriend. I was lonely and a little lost and brokenly incompetent, it hurt to feel the words bring back a day that would never be again. Today I'm crying for other days that will never be again. My mind feels cloudy when I try to remember the streets and how they connect. I keep expecting Steele to appear beside me and remind me where to turn. I see ghosts of my little missionary self on every street, flitting from door to door, feeling brightness come into dark rooms and staggering under disappointment. We bought mangos from the street vendors and tracted with sticky hands. We marched over to the men who whistled at us and told them about Jose Smith. We were more than welcome in a few places--treasured--and far from home we gloried in that love. I lived a few blocks away from here for four and a half months, I can see us merry there in the nighttimes laughing about all we did, planning under early November Christmas lights, scurrying everywhere in the city trying to push the light we had into every door and through every crack. Last August when I was here I expected to feel this soul-aching nostalgia, but it never came...of course not, because I hadn't been home 5 months yet then. All the magic still belonged to me in those days, I knew all the faces on the transfer board and my new freedom hung like heaven. We turned the key and found the fairy kingdom again just as it was. Now the THM is someone else's story, starring an entirely new cast. I miss my friends and the years we spent as soldiers on the front lines. I miss the purity and power I felt pulling me forward. Still, still, still, last night I had family prayer with Los Serrano and Laura prayed, "Gracias Padre que tu nas has dado un dia de tantas bendiciones...gracias por traer aqui nuestra Hermana que nos enseno el camino..." I stayed up until 2 laughing with Mary Caroline and today I get to have a carne asada with Los Escalante and Davila. La Morenita has not been forgotten. :) But there is something sorrowful in the stillness of memories.
EDITED TO ADD: Fratello Kyle Kenny has brought it to my attention that I was being whiny and angsty in this post for NO REASON, since I have more contact with people in my mission than (a) most people do and (b) is healthy. I apologize to everyone for misleading them and making them think that I had a horrible and pathetic experience in Houston, when in fact I enjoyed it SO IMMENSELY that I went AGAIN a week later! Thanks Nawfside H-town for bein' so good to me!

8 comments:

Robby said...

Lots of things in here hit me in the gut, but two big ones.

There is something sorrowful in the stillness of memories. I don't think I could say it better than that. There's something I want from the memory in this place that won't ever be there again. I have to do a sort of jump in my mind to keep from living in the memory.

"feeling brightness come into dark rooms and staggering under disappointment"
That's what I hold on to most about the mission. Feeling them ask and listen.

Thanks for sharing all these things. I watched the video of this place and it seems like the perfect place for you. You're going to do great.

And thanks for commenting, it means more than a million picture comments.

The Blogsmith said...

Rachel!

This is why you were sad :(. I have had nostalgic memories turn into nightmares from revisiting old video games that I cherished as a young boy :).

Obviously I'm half joking and it pails in comparison to your mission memory. I haven't had the chance yet to go back to Italy and ruin its nostalgic magic yet. But it saddens me that things turned out to be a little more morose on your own trip. Cherish what you have for what it is and you'll still find that they're some of the best memories you'll ever have in your life, even if they cannot be revisited or reenacted.

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

Rachel! Hey! I'm so glad you found me—I tried to call you back but your number had been deleted. So you're in the native land! I went back to Toronto before we left for Italy and it was definitely bittersweet. It was hard to see--or not see--who had stopped coming to church. But then again, like you experienced, there were those who grasped that which we shared with them and they are strong--Fernando (the one in the movie on my blog with the awesome deep voice and the heavy Argentine accent) just went through the temple last month. So, as I like to say, there's always a silver cloud to every lining!!!! Keep being positive and finding looking for Ammon joy (the kind where you fall to the floor and pass out for joy--that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!). It's good to find you again, my ol' VT comp! I love you! I'll read your blog whenever you write!

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

PS--how did you find me?

ChrisBCrazy said...

wow! you are a powerful writer! welcome to blogging! mission memories....amazing.

Scott and Cassidy Cowley said...

Hey Rach! I'm so glad you have a blog so we can stay in touch. I'm jealous your going to be living in Mexico. What an adventure! I can't wait to here more...
Cass

ls said...

Oh Rach, I love your writing, and I know some of those feelings so well. Perhaps in a different way, but I know what it feels like to ache for purposeful, glorious yesterdays and to wonder how the time has slipped by.

Do you know how much I love you? Do you know how deliriously happy it makes me that you have started a blog so I can feel the connection with you more frequently?

Oh, and one more thing. Yesterday I made a fatal error: I drove past Robert's house while talking on my cell phone. Of course he was out sweeping his empty gutters, and of course he waved at me, so now I am avoiding any contact with him because I hate that I have probably disappointed him or made him feel like I didn't value the importance of what he told us. Bummer, huh?

Can we get together one more time before you leave?

The Blogsmith said...

That's more like it! :p