Monday, December 8, 2008

Opened my eyes, had a dream last night, that both my arms were broken...

I had written a couple of faceless, stillborn vignettes about Christmas and dance parties and lighthearted tales about Casa Juconi, but they all seem so trivial and tasteless now and publishing them feels humiliating, like the smoldering wounded feeling right after someone slaps you.

Last night I dreamed I was on the back of a motorcycle driven by the person who has hurt me the most in this world, racing over cracking concrete and crossing rickety bridges chased by sinister figures. I had to cling to him to survive, and in my dream I told him what I really felt, not the angelic words of self-depreciating sugar I spun for him. Don't worry about it, this is what I deserve. You go on and be happy, that's what YOU deserve. I resent the tricks my mind plays on me while I am sleeping. I'm over the missing but I don't know if I will ever be over the shame and the indignity of that kind of Leaving, my heart stores those feelings up and casts them over me in freezing burning poisonous nets of paralysis that I have to shake off.

I took the train underwater today instead of immersing myself in the words of Christ. Sometimes I need a minute to mourn before the answers blaze in my mind and allow me to go merrily on my way with the dove of peace singing in my heart. This is the truth: "We love you regardless." Allowing disapproval to taint friendship makes me a judgmental hypocrite. I ache for what will never be, but it's not my story to write. I'll exorcise that bitter feeling. I'll be a character in your story, always your sister, I will try to always be bright and loving with you still, or I will listen and follow you into the dark. Thank you for trusting me. Please hang on. Don't forget your yellow bird.


Simon Joyner:

Came a yellow bird outside my window
Said bring me water and crusts of bread
Came a yellow bird outside my window
Said bring me water and crusts of break
For I’m injured and I’m haunted
By the storms in which I fled
I tried to fly to New Orleans
But I got lost in heavy rains
I got many holes in my two wings
From arrows that you aimed

It wasn’t I wounded you, any arrows I could shoot
I’m just a lonely man, I never left this room
Besides that I, how on earth could I
Hurt anything so frail as thee
When we’ve never met before this moment
When you called for help from me

Now yellow bird step down into my room
And she chose her words carefully
She said you were aiming for the sun
And I was just in-between
And every time you wish to die
An arrow was released
And the only thing between dark and light
Was my breast or yellow wings

Well this can’t be true I shook with fear
Though I knew she didn’t lie
I never wanted to harm anybody else
It’s just I who wish to die
And then the tears came rolling down
And the floor fell underneath
And the yellow bird folded her wings together
And I dragged her down with me

5 comments:

Dan Heintz said...

Some comforting words from Paul Simon...

When youre weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
Im on your side. when times get rough
And friends just cant be found,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way.
See how they shine.
If you need a friend
Im sailing right behind.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind.


And on a lighter note...

Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kicking down the cobble stones.
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy.
Hello lamppost,
What cha knowing?
I've come to watch your flowers growing.
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in' doo-doo,
Feelin' groovy.

Got no deeds to do,
No promises to keep.
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me.
Life, I love you,
All is groovy.

Jake said...

Amen to that, Danny boy.

And I love you, Rachel. Forever and a while.

squirrelyearl said...

Wow Rachel, so poetic and beautiful, even though it's rather all so tragic at the same time. Yeah, I know I've had some old pains revisiting me more recently and it makes me so sad, but I find joy and peace in knowing it's all things that are for my benefit and I can always have peace and happiness. Rachel, you really are such an amazing person and I'm so thankful to have such a beautiful friend in my life (and I'm not referring to just the fact you're easy on the eyes). You really are so amazing and I feel so blessed to ever have known you. I'm so envious of your ability to express yourself in such an amazing way, it's simply stunning. You really are a blessing to so many people and so I hope the joy that you share with others can at least in some degree be yours as well :)

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

Hey, just don't become like my poor grandmother--her bitterness is very potent and hard for me to be around. She just can't let it go (she had a very nasty divorce when my mom was on her mission) and it's made her very miserable.

I agree that dreams can play mean tricks on you. Some of them are pretty funny, though. Trista Jones (remember Trista? I love her) said that one night while she was doing homework I said in my sleep, "PIRATES? PIRATES? Bwah hah hah hah!" Trista laughed and laughed and laughed. As did I, once I stopped mocking pirates and woke up.

Robby said...

I'm not touching this one in a personal way at all, because my ignorance leaves me only the option to trivialize your struggle and pat you on the back. Plus my interpretation of your symbols (which are not intended for my understanding anyway) is a shaky guess at best... like blaming barrenness on sitting on cold floors B came after A. A therefore caused B...

I felt it necessary to desecrate this post eventually though so now is as good a time as any...

One time when I was in 5th grade on the last day of school, I remember being in band class. Our teacher had the driest, most anxiety inducing sense of humor in the world. He was the type of person who warns you before he tells a joke, probably because of all of his traumatic experiences in past efforts to do the same. The kind of guy that makes conversation at small gatherings about his cat. I remember a push-broom mustache and that he gave out enormous chocolate bars and that the joke had something to do with it raining cats and dogs. I don't think the punchline is the same as what you're familiar with. Maybe something about stepping in a poodle. I hope that's not it.

Anyway, we were putting the music away for the year and I saw the sheet music for a song the 6th graders played. I remember seeing them play in the last recital and wishing we had been playing that. So I shuffled through and found the trombone part. I swiped it. Yeah totally jacked the trombone part to take home. This will be so neat, I thought (that's what 5th graders said in 1993 right? Unless they were cool and listened to snoop dogg and warren G. I didn't yet, I was just confused as to why people were always spelling things.). I took it home feeling a slight tinge of guilt that I quietly suppressed. I probably cost the school some money, but I didn't really get that at the time so I'm pretty guilt free at this point.

I took the music out when I got home and looked over it briefly, and then started playing. I was alone. The song sounded like crap and the part wasn't fun to play at all like I expected. It was then I probably should have learned something about life like about taking a piece of something that needs other pieces to work or other people needing to be on board in a group or you can't do it all on your own, when you take the burning branch from the fire it goes out, it's always darkest before the dawn (although I would have been completely clueless how that classic piece of advice would stem from the experience) ... (blah blah blah), something... But I didn't. I just felt stupid for stealing something for no reason and hid the music for about 5 years before I threw it away. Unless it's in a black folder with neon music notes in an unmarked box in my parents' attic somewhere. And if that's the case I'm throwing it away as soon as I get home.

Pardary! is the word ver. Like what a cow farmer shouts when he finds his new milk satisfactory.