Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tengo muchas alas para llegar al cielo

Every day here feels like it comes sailing in straight from heaven. I think I actually wake up smiling, I really feel like I have "the dove of peace" singing in my heart, like the song says. Unequivocally coming here was the right decision, I'm so glad I didn't let anything deter me...I have been perfectly led!

I wanted to write about Monday, when I went out on family visits with TRACA, because it was a piece of soul, but I felt disinclined because I realized I'd have to explain how JUCONI works and the complexities of the program and it started to feel like a research paper in my mind--I just want to write about what's precious to me, but I also figured I would explain what I'm doing here in Mexico. JUCONI is very deeply structured and there are many levels of organization; basically they are a non-governmental organization that focuses on providing services for 3 vulnerable populations: children who live in the street, children who work in the street, and children who work in the Hidalgo market. If you want to know more just ask me, or look at http://www.togetherwiththechildren.org/--it's the site of JUCONI's U.S based office.

Basically my volunteer work here will be in the TRACA program, (TRAbajadores de la CAlle) which focuses on street-working children and their families. TRACA is a team of three of the most excellent, warm-hearted and brilliant social workers I have ever met--Carla, Marci, and Lolis. Carla is the director and I work most closely with her. She is utterly amazing. All 3 of them are so kind and attentive and willing to include me in everything and explain words I don't understand. It's so different working with people who make you feel appreciated (I am thinking of Dr. Cibano in the orphanage who wanted to throw us out half the time). I feel affection from them and even though I'm obviously just starting out with them, they praise me for everything I do! The other day when we were doing family visits, every time we left from a house I would tell Carla and Lolis what impressed me about their interactions with the people and how I thought they were just bubbling over with goodness..Carla thanked me at the end of the day and said that me being there was very encouraging because they don't often compliment each other like that, "but [they] should." She said it made her feel good all day...and her telling me that made me feel like I was contributing a little, and it was nice. I love watching them work because I see them applying techniques I learned about in social work textbooks and classes...things like starting where the client is, identifying strengths, encouraging self-determination..principles that can sound a little dry and technical unless you see them in action, and then it just looks like...love. It is absolutely inspiring to see. This is all I have ever wanted to do.

TRACA works with a number of families who are involved in working the "crucero." This kind of street work can involve anything from selling flowers and candy to being a street performer to dealing drugs to prostitution. Some cases are more severe and horrifying than others, but children who work in the street here tend to come from very poor homes where violence, addictions, abuse and exploitation are present--and obviously they are exposed to many dangers on the streets as well. Many families rely on the income the kids bring in from the street to sustain them (I was surprised that street workers actually do generate a significant income; often it is even greater than a typical Mexican salary--so you can understand the attraction of continuing to live that way.) The crucero essentially exists as a livelihood for many families; in many cases the parents work there with their children, who grow up without ever attending school or training for another vocation, and eventually take their own children to the crucero. It's a very tragic and damaging cycle and I am so impressed with the work that JUCONI does in helping families break it and transform their way of life. The archives in the office are full of stories of miracles...JUCONI is founded on good principles and really does generate positive change for so many people who need it. In the TRACA program participating families receive individual and family therapy, advocacy with potential employers, schools, etc, access to medical care, in-kind benefits like food and cleaning supplies, and "intangible" resources such as support, education and hope. (Haha I feel like I'm writing a policy paper, after SOCW 331 I don't know how else to describe these things!)

It's amazing to listen to the stories of how much these families have been transformed. We'd walk away from a home where there were clearly some painful defecits and Carla would say, "You should have seen them 3 years ago..." Carla was telling me that she was diagnosed with a painful illness 5 years ago and was advised by her doctor to stop working, but she said, "How can I stop? When I've seen people stop drinking and show affection to their children, when I see a little boy who was on drugs a year ago graduating from school, how can I stop?" I told her that God knew her heart and how much she gave and that I thought He would help her stay healthy enough to keep going. She hugged me and said she thought so too.

TRACA does not usually have volunteers because the nature of their work is slightly dangerous (going into the homes of families with serious problems, working out in the ghettos), varies erratically from day to day and can often be "pesado" (emotionally taxing and discouraging). Whenever I hear a job description like that I just start waving my hand and jumping up and down! PICK ME! When I first arrived, the JUCONI director, Travis (he is the only American here besides me...he's from Colorado and is a huge stud; he has done a ton with the Peace Corps and other community development projects. He started out as a volunteer at JUCONI and is raising his family here in Puebla!) told me that my experience and language level would qualify me to do something other than to work in the offices or in the Montessori kindergarten, which is where they place most foreign volunteers...they can have a great experience learning Spanish and being with the kids, but he thought I would be happier having a hands-on social work experience because that's where it seems like my heart is. He is pretty much exactly right,and also a genius.

I can't explain how exhilarated I feel to be here and to work with these families! This is what I have always wanted. It's a different kind of sweetness than holding forgotten angel children in Romania, but this is an opportunity for me to learn how to give effective service in a country that I love so much, in a language that is like sugar to me. I can't get enough of it, every day I'm so excited to go out and learn more and meet more people and I'm realizing this is already too long for anyone to get through; sorry, and I also apologize for my meandering writing style and the overabundance of parentheses. Where are the tangent police when you need them huh? THOSE TO COME: A gift to my soul, my first day out in the calle, choice details about living here and drama at Institute! Oh yeah!

2 comments:

Robby said...

Wow can't really understand why no one has commented on this one yet. There's a lot to take in here.

The tangent police don't even set foot in neighborhoods like ours, because they know they can't do nothing. We're probably not in the same neighborhood, but we have the same kind of tangent gangsta bbq's.

I would be so happy seeing that sort of change in people. I think I'm going to try to figure out how to give sincere compliments to the workers here, because they need them a lot. Thanks sir inspires-a-lot.

It seems like Juconi is so valuable to the community there. The Crucero sounds like it's getting hella sniped by you guys! Like antibiotics! Thanks for explaining more what you guys do. Whenever you write, there's this tint that says, "I found my home." You can't hide it and it gives people smiles.

Robby said...

The last two word verifications were and I'm not making this up...

WOOMBRU

and

TRACT

Just thought you should know.